Skip to Main Content

Community Networking: Home

Buying a Car

Finding Somewhere to Live

Useful Web Sites


Once you move out of home you will need to apply for your own Medicare card. You need to show this card when you go to the doctor's or to a hospital. You can apply for a card at any Medicare office or online.

Paying Tax

When you start work you will need to apply for a tax file number (TFN). You can apply at any post office or online. You will need to provide proof of your identity. If you don’t have a TFN you could have more tax withheld from your pay, or be unable to receive the government benefits you are entitled to.


Voting is compulsory in Australia for anyone over the age of 18. You can enrol to vote when you are 16 or 17.

To enrol you can:

Mobile Phone Plans

Banking and Budgeting

Bank Web Sites


When you move into a home of your own you will need to get the utilities connected. Utilities include electricity, gas and phone.

For electricity and gas, contact suppliers such as:

Shop around for the best deal. You can compare electrcity prices here.

To get the phone connected, contact phone companies such as:



Ms Keen

Profile Photo
Nell Keen
5436 7347