The Kings Beach Pool (also known as the Sir Francis Nicklin Memorial Pool) is located on the rocks at the northern end of Kings Beach, Caloundra. The pool commemorates Sir Francis Nicklin who was the Premier of Queensland from 1957 to 1968.
It was opened in 1977.
In 1925 Kings Beach was named when the Caloundra Beach Estate was established. Kings Beach was named after the King family, who moved to the area in 1893. In 1908 Allan and Eliza King built Kings Grand Central (see picture below), an early guest house near a sand track later to become the corner of Edmund and King St.
It was a popular place to stay and in 1935 a second storey was added to the wooden structure to accommodate the increasing number of holiday visitors.
The building was demolished to make way for the construction of the Perle Hotel, which was opened on the site on August 1, 1957.
In 1991 the Perle Hotel was rebuilt and is now the Kings Beach Tavern.
Books in our library: