A dystopian society is a futuristic, imagined society in which the idea of a perfect society is maintained through control of the oppressive government.
Following is a list of characteristics of a Dystopian Society found on www.readwritethink.com
- Propaganda is used to control the citizens of the society.
- Information, independent thought, and freedom are restricted.
- A figurehead or concept is worshipped by the citizens of the society.
- Citizens are perceived to be under constant surveillance.
- Citizens have fear of the outside world.
- The natural world is banished and distrusted.
- Citizens conform to uniform expectations. Individuality and dissent are bad.
- The society is an illusion of a perfect utopian world - such as in the The Giver.
The Dystopian Protagonist:
- often feels trapped and is struggling to escape.
- questions the existing social and political systems.
- believes or feels that something is terribly wrong with the society in which he or she lives.
- helps the audience recognize the negative aspects of the dystopian world through his or her perspective.