Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
English Interactions 3 by
Call Number: 808
English Elements 4: For the National Profiles & the Curriculum and Standard Framework by
Call Number: 428.2076
English Communication by
Call Number: 428.2 GOS
English in Practice Workbook 1 by
Call Number: 428.0076 ARN
English in Practice Workbook 2 by
Call Number: 428.0076 ARN
At Work by
Call Number: 651.7 VIZ
Useful Web Sites
Explore possible careers, learn how to apply for jobs and how to succeed in a job interview.
Job vacancies and information on how to apply for jobs.
The Federal government's web site with advice on how to get a job.
A British site that has lots of videos exploring a range of careers.
Your Rights and Responsibilities at Work
The National Employment Standards (NES) are 10 minimum employment entitlements that have to be provided to all employees.
The national minimum wage and the NES make up the minimum entitlements for employees in Australia. An award, employment contract, enterprise agreement or other registered agreement can't provide for conditions that are less than the national minimum wage or the NES. They can’t exclude the NES.
The NES are set out in the Fair Work Act 2009.
- Maximum weekly hours of work – 38 hours per week, plus reasonable additional hours.
- Requests for flexible working arrangements – an entitlement allowing employees in certain circumstances as set out in the Fair Work Act 2009 to request a change in their working arrangements because of those circumstances.
- Parental leave and related entitlements – up to 12 months unpaid leave per employee, plus a right to request an additional 12 months unpaid leave, plus other forms of maternity, paternity and adoption related leave.
- Annual leave – four weeks paid leave per year, plus an additional week for certain shift workers.
- Personal/carer’s leave and compassionate leave – 10 days paid personal/carer’s leave, two days unpaid carer’s leave as required, and two days compassionate leave (unpaid for casuals) as required.
- Community service leave – unpaid leave for voluntary emergency activities and leave for jury service, with an entitlement to be paid for up to 10 days for jury service.
- Long service leave – a transitional entitlement for employees as outlined in an applicable pre modernised award, pending the development of a uniform national long service leave standard.
- Public holidays – a paid day off on a public holiday, except where reasonably requested to work.
- Notice of termination and redundancy pay – up to five weeks notice of termination and up to 16 weeks severance pay on redundancy, both based on length of service.
- Provision of a Fair Work Information Statement – must be provided by employers to all new employees, and contains information about the NES, modern awards, agreement-making, the right to freedom of association, termination of employment, individual flexibility arrangements, union rights of entry, transfer of business, and the respective roles of the Fair Work Commission and the Fair Work Ombudsman.
Just for Fun: The Origin of Job Interviews
Books in our Library on Careers
Interview Skills That Win the Job by
Call Number: 650.14 SPI
Australian Guide to Careers in Music by
Call Number: 780.23 HAN
Creative and Artistic Careers by
Call Number: 331.702 CRE
Business and Administrative Careers by
Call Number: 331.702 BUS
Choosing the Right Career by
Call Number: 331.702 MUR
Practical and Mechanical Careers by
Call Number: 331.702 PRA
Nature and Recreation Careers by
Call Number: 331.702 NAT
Scientific and Analytic Careers by
Call Number: 331.702 SCI
Get ahead in Catering
Call Number: 647.95023 SEN
How to Get Ahead in Construction
Call Number: 624.02341 SEN
How to Get Ahead in Englineering and Design
Call Number: 620.002641 FAU
A Head Start: A Young Person's Guide to Success in the Workforce
Call Number: 650.14 GRA
Getting a Brilliant Job
Call Number: 650.14 BRI
Resumes that get Shortlisted
Call Number: 650.142 BRI
Young People at Work
Call Number: 331.702 YOU
Call Number: 331.250994 WOR
The Changing Workplace
Call Number: 331.25 CHA